Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Tuesday 3-1-11

 

0815  Underway, Sunny with some breeze.  Things not working.  The hobbs meter is stuck and not showing the engine hours.  That’s not a big deal because the NEMA 2000 network also has engine hours.  Today the the Lowrance NEMA 2000 gps stopped working.  I don’t know what the problem is.  I tried resetting but it is just dead.  The is also not a major problem because the only thing this gps does is connect to the engine gauge network.  It lets me get a fuel flow reading in miles per gal.  That handy for figuring the best rpm’s to run. 

image

Ran along just enjoying the sights until I got to Cabbage Key.  A friend said this was a good place to stop for a night.  It is well protected and there is a very nice restaurant with docks.  I stopped but I was the only boat there and no one in the restaurant so I went to plan B and just went on a few more miles to Safety Harbor at North Captiva Island.  Now I really liked it here. It is only accessible by boat. There are several houses here a a couple of restaurants.  The best part is, I picked up several strong WiFi connections.  It’s a bit tricky to get into especially because the Navionics chat that I have for my Hummingbird Gps does NOT have detailed charts South of Venice.  I thought it did.  This is going to be a real PITA.  All the electronics now days makes one very lazy.  I do have paper charts.  They show you where a sandbar is but not where you are.  I’ve got to see if I can find a chart chip for the GPS.  It’s too much work trying to figure out where you are.  Navigating a route along the ICW is not too bad but getting off the beaten path is another.

Picture way back in Safety Harbor

P1000180

BIRDS

P1000181

No comments:

Post a Comment